HULLO! I am Rachel J. Morris.
I am various things, I suppose. I’m approximately [currentYear – 1988] years old, I’m a programmer, artist, and pianist. I am also interested in learning languages, from Japanese and Korean to Esperanto, Ido, and toki pona.
I grew up with PC gaming- my parents wouldn’t let me have a video game console early on. Commander Keen, Doom, Monkey Island, Jetpack, Jazz Jackrabbit, The Incredible Machine, all those good things. I began working when I was 16, so I have mostly caught up on cosole gaming since then. 🙂
I was homeschooled as a child, and probably one of the few homeschoolers belonging to a secular family. I got an Associates and Bachelors degree in Computer Science, associates from MCC-Longview and bachelors from UMKC. I hopped between a few different programs at the graduate level, but it’s pretty expensive. I want to get a masters degree in CompSci eventually, but I have to find the right place.
I’ve worked as a software developer, web developer, and adjunct CS instructor. I also spend a lot of time on my personal hobbies, or as I call them now, “my business, Moosader”. I’ve been making written/video tutorials about game programming since 2008, making games and websites for fun, and sometimes I even animate!
Want to contact me?
My email address is RachelJMorris at gmail dot com
- Creator of Moosader.com & maintainer of the gamedev-based forum and IRC community
- Creator and lazy maintainer of ArtSader, which ought to either be rebuilt or destroyed. It is a directory website for public domain & CC-By licensed art/music for use in projects.
- Creator of several notable YouTube-based game development tutorials, including “Beginner’s Guide to Game Programming”
- Published several Android apps.
- Occasional adjunct instructor, also holding informal classes for various groups. General advocate for creativity, STEM, and generally making-cool-stuff.
- Creator of Esperanimeo.com, an Esperanto-language entertainment blog, and MoosaderEO on YouTube
- Creator of NiaIdo.com, an Ido-language community and blog, and MoosaderIdo on YouTube
- Secularly homeschooled, begun taking classes at Metropolitan Community College at the age of 14.
- Bachelors of Science in Computer Science in 2009 from University of Missouri, Kansas City
I also keep a Tumblr of some of the really nice feedback I’ve received from various people over the years. You can view my feedback blog here.
Stuff I like to do
- Make original films (usually animations) in conlangs (constructed languages) like Esperanto and Ido.
- Build countless websites for my hobbies (so far this one, a creative commons art page, an Esperanto entertainment blog with multiple authors, an Ido community/blog, a project page for my cousin and I, and I also run several IRC channels and an Esperanto practicing Google+ Group…)
- Study languages that have non-roman writing systems (I love Hangul, Katakana & Hiragana)
- Dance Dance Revolution / In The Groove. (ITG is superior)
- Watch TV from my childhood (I get very nostalgic)
- Sew, paint, crochet
- Read about the beginnings of game companies that were big in the 90s (iD, Sierra, Origin)
- K-Dramas, anime, Let’s Plays, and cartoons from my childhood are guilty pleasures.
- John Carmack
- Tim Schafer
- Ron Gilbert
- Roberta Williams
- Salman Khan
- Bob Cotter (UMKC CS Teacher)
- Cindy Herbert (MCC CS Teacher)
- Jason Pallett (MCC Math Teacher)
- Janet Wyatt (MCC Math Teacher)
I’ve been building websites since the Geocities days, back in my tween years. As I learned more about web development, I would make custom webpages for myself. Though these days, my main website (Moosader.com) is obviously a WordPress blog. I just got tired of writing complex back-ends with PHP, ASP.NET MVC, and Django for it. 😉
The Moosader page has been around for a while, but unfortunately I never kept detailed records of the site when I first started as a teenager (therefore, I don’t have an exact version #).
Here are some old layouts…
(Yes, I have a bad habit of updating the layout every year. x_x)
My Favorite Video Games…
(Because I gotta put this somewhere… right?)
While growing up…
- Monkey Island series (+ other LucasArts Adventures)
- King’s Quest series
- Diablo 2
- Commander Keen
- Jazz Jackrabbit
- Quake 1 & Quake 3 Arena
- Unreal Tournament series
- Xmas Jetpack
- The Incredible Machine
- Metal Gear Solid series
- Legend of Mana / Mana series
- Beyond Good & Evil
- Jak & Daxter
- Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
- Spyro the Dragon (Insomniac series)
- Croc series
- Oddworld series
- Prince of Persia Sands of Time
- Warcraft 1 and 2 (and Starcraft)
- Fire Emblem
- Shinobi II (GameGear version)
- Harvest Moon
- Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator
- Monster Rancher
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island
This is based on what I’ve played since being an adult 🙂
- To the Moon
- Mark of the Ninja
- Portal Series
- Half Life Series
- The Walking Dead (Telltale)
- Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
- Brutal Legend
- A Boy and his Blob (Wii Remake)
- Orcs Must Die
- Rayman Origins
- Fable Series
- Klonoa series
- The Guardian Legend
- The Dig
- Saints Row the Third